Chili’s doesn’t need much introduction. I’m sure everyone in Kolkata has been to either of their outlets and have tried their unique and exquisite dishes. As for me, Chili’s means soul food ! My craving for some authentic Tex-Mex food can be satiated only by this particular brand. It was through Chili’s that fajita made its way into the cuisine of Kolkata. A fajita is a part of Tex-Mex cuisine, in which grilled pieces of meat are served on a tortilla bread.
Let’s come to the point now ! I had been to the outlet at Quest Mall once but never did I get the opportunity to visit the much glamorous outlet in Acropolis Mall. Thus my visit to this outlet happened through an invitation for a food tasting of their ongoing ‘Fajita Fiesta‘. Chili’s occupies a prominent position in the Acropolis Mall in the top floor and can even be visualised from outside. What makes this particular outlet different from the rest in Kolkata is that there is lounge and bar seating on the mezzanine floor of the restaurant. The lounge area is found nowhere in the other two outlets. Also, the striking array of light bulbs creates an amazing picturesque. Thus the ambience overall is quite enjoyable and so is their food.
Well, the ‘Fajita Fiesta’ includes six exquisite fajitas, out of their regular menu, none of which can be missed.
1. Crispy cauliflower – This is basically a starter and not a typical fajita. The cauliflower slices are coated with a thin batter and fried to crispness. The crispy pieces were further drizzled with hot wing sauce, ranch dressing and spring onions. The cauliflower was fried to absolute crispness but they did simply taste like a cauliflower pakora. I wish if they were tossed in some tangy sauce, the dish would definitely taste much much better. Still, if you wish to munch on some good vegetarian snacks, this is the best option for you.
2. Roasted Pepper Chicken Fajitas – This was served on a sizzler plate with tortilla bread and six condiments. The condiments include pickled onions, guacamole ( mashed avocado dip ), salsa, mix of cheddar and Jack cheese, cumin sour cream and Pico de gallo, which is a Mexican variety of chopped tomato sala. Coming back to the fajita, juicy chicken slices were placed on a bed of cooked red onion rings, topped with roasted red pepper sauce, cheese blend, fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. Either have the fajitas with the choice of your condiments or prepare a wrap using the tortilla bread, fajitas and the condiments and have it to experience the real taste. I really loved this one, the chicken being soft and very well cooked. The roasted red pepper sauce provided the much needed spicy taste while cheese at the top was doing its own job.
3. Roasted shrimp fajitas – This was definitely irresistible! Who can hold over their lust for food when there are grilled prawns in front? Spiced shrimp pieces were placed on a bed of cooked red onion rings and garlic tomatoes. They were further mixed with chicken chorizo, pineapple pico de gallo and citrus chile sauce, topped with fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. This was my personal favourite, maybe since prawns and shrimps are my weakness. The shrimps were very well grilled and were juicy and succulent. You can’t even wait to make a wrap using the tortilla as this was heavenly !
4. Sea food fajitas – Well, this was a mixed version of the previous one where a fillet of basa was served along with some grilled shrimps, on a bed of cooked red onion rings and garlic tomatoes, mixed with pico de gallo and citrus chilli sauce, topped with fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. The shrimps were juicy and heavenly, just like the previous one. However, what surprised us was the basa fillet which somehow outwitted the shrimps in terms of both texture and flavour. The fish was so well cooked that the fork penetrated it with the least effort and it simply melted in my mouth creating magic !
5. Queso Fundido Fajitas – This has an option to choose either chicken or tenderloin or both! Since majority of us were craving for chicken, we went for that. Chicken slices were served on a bed of cooked red onion rings, smothered in warm garlic queso fundido, citrus chilli sauce, fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. The tortilla bread and condiments were the same as in all the previous cases. The chicken was simply out of the world. The meat was well cooked and tasted amazing.
6. Sizzling veggie fajitas – A mix of grilled juicy veggies on a plate. This includes mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, etc. This was more like a veg salad and I enjoyed this to my heart’s content. Vegetarians are simply going to love this!
The festival menu includes are dessert as well.
Crunchy chocolate puff – The puff is amazingly crisped, stuffed with warm chocolate brownie. It comes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce. The same monotonous brownie with chocolate sauce gets a new form where the brownie comes within a crispy puff and trust me, once you have this, there’s no scope of regret !
Now, Chili’s is not about fajitas only. The huge diverse menu has a long to offer. Some of my favourites from their menu are –
1. Pulled pork fajita – This is my favourite among all the fajitas in their regular menu. The fajitas were topped with shrimps, sliced bell peppers, chopped onions, chipotle garlic butter and chopped cilantro. This was amazing and something that deserves a try.
2. Southern smokehouse Burger – This is one of their best Burgers topped with bacon, cheddar cheese, spiced panko onion rings, fresh lettuce, tomato and their signature sauce. The Burger comes with a side a fried and BBQ sauce dip. The Burger was quite filling and tasty.
3. Grilled chicken burger – The breads were stuffed with grilled chicken patty, lettuce, tomato, Swiss Cheese and honey mustard dressing.
4. Texas trio – This is quite an amazing dish that deserves a try. The trio includes smoked salmon, pork ribs and chicken breast. The salmon is drizzled with honey chipotle sauce. The ribs, placed on a bed of mashed potato, are drizzled with classic BBQ sauce. The chicken breast on a bed of corn salsa is drizzled with classic BBQ sauce. The entire thing was very amazing and each portion of the trio was unique and delectable.
5. Grilled Tenderloin – The tenderloin was perfectly grilled and tasted great with a side of their special rice and fries. It was wholesome and quite filling.
6. Tortilla crusted chicken – The tortilla crusted chicken breast was topped with cheese, sauted onion, bell peppers and a drizzle of cilantro aioli. It was served on a bed of rice along with veggies like mushroom, corn, etc. The chicken was perfectly crispy and tasted great.
7. Ancho chilli fish – A thick ancho-rubbed salmon fillet was drizzled with citrus chilli sauce and topped with chopped cilantro. It was served with rice and veggies. The salmon, undoubtedly, was the best. It’s sweet, juicy flavours did hit on spot and I was very impressed.
Overall, Chili’s is going to serve some amazing fajitas like never before during the course of this festival, which will continue till the month of November. If you haven’t been here, then get geared up to pay this place a visit. The food, ambience, hospitality and everything is definitely going to leave you stunned !