Chili‘s had always been one my favourite places in Kolkata. I have been an ardent fan of this place since they day they started with their first outlet in Quest Mall. Be it their starters or their fajitas, steaks and burgers, each and everything is amazing ! In a short span of time, Chili’s had opened up two more outlets – one is South City Mall while the other in Acropolis Mall. It was through an invitation from the management of Chili’s, South City Mall for a tasting of their ongoing ‘Fajita Fiesta‘ festival, that I happened to visit this particular outlet for the first time.
Undoubtedly, this is much spacious than the first outlet. The decor is warm and vibrant. However, one might not easily spot this outlet easily ! You might assume this to be in the food court, considering Chili’s to be a restaurant but it is actually located on the 2nd floor of the Mall, bang opposite Coffee World, beside Cafe Mezzuna. Thus, locating this place can be quite a difficult task for some, unlike the case in Quest Mall where it did enjoy a very prominent location.
I often hear people saying Chili’s is costly and it is beyond the budget of a student. Let me correct you at this point. The pricing of Chili’s has been done in accordance with the fact that it is an international brand and also that the quality of food served, is undoubtedly the best. Thus, to cater to the student crowd, Chili’s has launched an offer that would definitely make them happy, without making a hole in their pocket ! The offer is of a combo two course meal starting from just ₹249. This is a steal deal and can’t be missed ! Apart from that, Chili’s is also doing a free home delivery within a radius of 5km.
Now let’s come to the point of discussion, that is, ‘Fajita Fiesta’. Before that, let me make a brief discussion on what a fajita actually is ! A fajita is a part of Tex-Mex cuisine, in which grilled pieces of meat are served on a tortilla bread. This is one of the popular dishes in the American casual dining restaurants but in Kolkata the only restaurant that serves fajita is Chili’s. So, when they are launching some special fajitas, out of their menu, it can’t be missed ! The festival includes six different types of fajitas –
1. Crispy cauliflower – This is basically a starter and not a typical fajita. The cauliflower slices are coated with a thin batter and fried to crispness. The crispy pieces were further drizzled with hot wing sauce, ranch dressing and spring onions. The cauliflower was fried to absolute crispness but they did simply taste like a cauliflower pakora. I wish if they were tossed in some tangy sauce, the dish would definitely taste much much better. Still, if you wish to munch on some good vegetarian snacks, this is the best option for you.
2. Roasted Pepper Chicken Fajitas – This was served on a sizzler plate with tortilla bread and six condiments. The condiments include pickled onions, guacamole ( mashed avocado dip ), salsa, mix of cheddar and Jack cheese, cumin sour cream and Pico de gallo, which is a Mexican variety of chopped tomato sala. Coming back to the fajita, juicy chicken slices were placed on a bed of cooked red onion rings, topped with roasted red pepper sauce, cheese blend, fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. Either have the fajitas with the choice of your condiments or prepare a wrap using the tortilla bread, fajitas and the condiments and have it to experience the real taste. I really loved this one, the chicken being soft and very well cooked. The roasted red pepper sauce provided the much needed spicy taste while cheese at the top was doing its own job.
3. Roasted shrimp fajitas – This was definitely irresistible! Who can hold their lust for food when there are grilled shrimps in front? Spiced shrimp pieces were placed on a bed of cooked red onion rings and garlic tomatoes. They were further mixed with chicken chorizo, pineapple pico de gallo and citrus chili sauce, topped with fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. This was my personal favourite, maybe since prawns and shrimps are my weakness. The shrimps were very well grilled and were juicy and succulent. You can’t even wait to make a wrap using the tortilla and might end up finishing the plate, with the tortilla and condiments left behind, as this was heavenly !
4. Sea food fajitas – Well, this was a mixed version of the previous one where a fillet of basa was served along with some grilled shrimps, on a bed of cooked red onion rings and garlic tomatoes, mixed with pico de gallo and citrus chilli sauce, topped with fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. The shrimps were juicy and heavenly, just like the previous one. However, what surprised us was the basa fillet which somehow outwitted the shrimps in terms of both texture and flavour. The fish was so well cooked that the fork penetrated it with the least effort and it simply melted in my mouth creating magic !
5. Queso Fundido Fajitas – This has an option to choose either chicken or tenderloin or both! Since majority of us were craving for tenderloin, we went for that. Tenderloin steak was served on a bed of cooked red onion rings, smothered in warm garlic queso fundido, citrus chilli sauce, fresh cilantro and roasted jalapenos. The tortilla bread and condiments were the same as in all the previous cases. The tenderloin was simply out of the world. The meat was fibrous and tasted amazing. This was definitely one of the best tenderloins I ever had.
6. Sizzling veggie fajitas – A mix of grilled juicy veggies on a plate. This includes mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, etc. This was more like a veg salad and I enjoyed this to my heart’s content. Vegetarians are simply going to love this!
The festival menu includes a dessert as well.
Crunchy chocolate puff – The puff is amazingly crisped, stuffed with warm chocolate brownie. It comes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce. The same monotonous brownie with chocolate sauce gets a new form where the brownie comes within a crispy puff and trust me, once you have this, there’s no scope for regret !
Well, my blog doesn’t end here because the vast menu of Chili’s doesn’t end with their festival menu. Being my all time favourite place, let me in brief discuss the specialities and my favourites over here –
1. Country fried calamari – The calamari rings are fried to absolute crispness. They come in huge quantity and these are something to die for. Perhaps the best snacks or a starter that this place has got is this ! Once you start, it’s impossible to stop oneself from the automatic reflex action to have the calamari rings one after another and within a few minutes, the entire plate gets empty!
2. Baby back ribs – One of the dishes for which Chili’s is internationally known is their baby back ribs. As of Kolkata, I can well assure you that no place makes this better than Chili’s. We tried it with the honey chipotle sauce. The meat was tender and juicy. The sauce was sweet and further elevated the flavour of the dish. It was served with a side of mashed potato.
3. Blackened salmon – I’m a huge fan of this particular dish. No place makes this better than Chili’s. The salmon was so amazingly grilled. It’s difficult to say something about such an excellent dish. The thick salmon fillet was drizzled with sweet tangy honey Dijon sour cream sauce and served with lemon aioli, rice and fresh spinach tomato mix. Everything was amazing and of top notch. I would personally recommend every visitor to try this particular dish for once and then I can guarantee that you won’t stop yourself from coming here again and again just to try this out!
4. Blackened fish – The guy who took our order, suggested us to try their blackened fish (basa) along with the salmon variant. Surprisingly both the dishes tasted distinctly different. While the salmon was sweet, this was sour and tangy. The size of fillet was huge. This was served with their special rice along with american corn, asparagus, mushroom, lime, etc. It was well grilled and tasted amazing.
Overall, Chili’s did make me fall in love with it once again. The food here is unique and exquisite in the whole of Kolkata. The food, ambience, hospitality and everything else makes this an amazing place to dine with friends and family. The ‘Fajita Fiesta’ would continue till November. So, don’t miss out these amazing fajitas and visit Chili’s before the festival ends.