Barbeque nation doesn’t need any introduction – the name itself is enough. With branches spread throughout the nation, this food chain is one of the most popular in India. In Calcutta, be it the Sector 5 branch or the Park Street branch, there’s always a huge crowd. Their huge buffet spread ranging from the amazing kababs to the great desserts, makes their buffet the best in the city. Recently, I was invited over here on the inauguration of the food festival ‘Dilli Wali Khau Gali’.
The whole restaurant had been modified as per the theme of the food festival. Also, the dress code of the staff had changed. Now, coming to the buffet menu, we started with the mocktails –
1. Guava Mary – This consisted of guava juice and strawberry, and was chilli rimmed. The sweet and tangy taste, made this the best among the mocktails !
2. Freezophanso – This was presented like a ice cream, but is actually a mocktail. This was made of mango juice, apple juice, strawberry and ginger. This was good.
3. Shaolin cooler – This included khas syrup and fresh mint. Tasted nice.
4. Bombay Collins – The major ingredients were cranberry juice, peach and grenadine. This was a turn off for me !
5. Royal blossom – This consisted of lychee puree and Rose. This was very refresging.
Next to arrive at our tables, was the mouthwatering kababs. The non vegetarian kababs included –
1. Murgh malai mukaddam kabab – definitely the best of the lot, where soft sliced chicken kababs were dipped in malai and served on our plates.
2. Dilli ka dhaba murgh tikka – grilled perfectly, the soft chicken just melted in the mouth, with its amazing blend of spices.
3. Mutton dehlvi adraki seekh – the mutton was somewhat dry, but the taste was good.
4. Surkh fish tikka – the fish was well cooked and was very soft. It was good.
5. Tandoori murgh akbari – the chicken was well marinated with spices, and tasted nice.
6. Nimoda tandoori zinga – the prawn kababs over here had always been my personal favourite. I simply loved it, the smoke flavour and the spicy marination had imparted an irresistible taste to the delicious prawns !
The vegetarian kababs included –
1. Delhvi paneer teh pe the – Soft paneer pieces grilled with capsicum.
2. Tandoori malai kumbh – the mushrooms were soft and tasted amazing
3. Nadru kabab – placed on a soft bread, this was nice.
4. Dahi ke kabab – this was my first time with this dish and I enjoyed every bite of it. Coated with a crispy layer, the thick layer of curd inside was tangy and tasty. Even if a non vegetarian, give this a try !
5. Pudina anaras k tikke – sweet and juicy pineapples were grilled with a spicy marination.
6. Vegetable bhatti ki seekh – a mash of veggies were prepared like a kabab.
We were almost full with the starters so we sampled out a few dishes from the main course, out of which my personal suggestions are :
1. Chandni chowk ki biryani – being a veg biryani, I found its taste to be almost parallel or maybe even better than the non veg variants. It was spicy and was loaded with generous amounts of veggies.
2. Dunkar anjeer kofta curry – the koftas were well made, loaded in a rich and creamy gravy !
3. Sarai ki Mughlai dum biryani – keeping the spice proportion and amount of oil low, so as to suit all sorts of people, this one was decent and well with the sides.
4. Gali Kabaiyaan ki nihari – the meat was well cooked, the gravy was rich and tasted nice and complemented the biryani well
5. Murgh surkh kada – The chicken was cooked in a spicy gravy. We ordered tandoori roti with it, and the combo was awesome !
Ending our meal with the best section, desserts –
1. Jama masjid ka Shahi tukra – in comparison with the other desserts, one can give this a miss, for the bread was hard and chewy, which one won’t prefer having after a heavy meal
2. Gali ki Phirni – I loved the Phirni. It wasn’t much sweet and had a fine texture.
3. Moong dal ka halwa – during my last visit here, this had own my heart. However this time, it lacked adequate sweetness, which made it taste somewhat bland.
4. Anguri gulabjamun – being my favourite dessert, i always keep waiting for this to reach my table and this time too, I didn’t fail to impress me – soft, juicy and hot !
5. Dark chessy brownie – though a little dry, but the layer of cheese compensated for it. Overall, good !
6. Blueberry cheesecake – This was really amazing but the sugar crystals in the blueberry layer were not ground and melted probably, thereby imparting a crispiness, which otherwise shouldn’t have been there !
7. Kulfi counter – the kulfi counter is the place where people flock with great enthusiasm after a whole hearted meal. I tried all the given flavours, where my personal favorites were paan and chocolate!
Overall, Barbeque Nation is serving an amazing buffet during this festival. This is probably the best option for tasting the delicacies of Delhi. This festival will end soon. So hurry up and pay a visit before this festival expires !