Fikar not Foodies is a small restaurant situated near CA island which specializes in Chinese, Thai and Tibetan cuisines. Though being a 16 seater restaurant, the décor has been amazingly done with colourful walls, quotes and food pictures. The furniture is nice and the place is air conditioned. Also there’s a takeaway counter beside the dine-in restaurant.
I was invited here as a member of Panchphoron for a bloggers meet. Our food tasting session started with a mango smoothie will was refreshing and consistent in texture.
The starters which we had were :
1. Chicken Sui Mai – Tasty filling of minced chicken stuffed into wontons and steamed. The outer covering of the wanton was thin and the chicken filling was indeed delicious. However, since it was served cold, it couldn’t live upto my expectations.
2. Chicken Dumpling – Minced chicken filling stuffed into a dough of flour, with an unique presentation. The taste was amazing.
3. Lat me kai chicken – Crispy and spicy chicken sauted with spring onions was a delicious affair.
4. Crystal prawn – This is popularly known as Golden fried prawns, which is one of my favorite appetizers. The difference is that, here the outer covering isnt crispy, though the taste remains the same.
Shifting to the mains :
1. Fikar not foodies special fried rice – This is the chef’s dish having an amazing mix of veggies, meat and spices in a bowl of rice. It looked good but due to an added excess of star anise, it didn’t taste as good as expected.
2. Kung pao chicken – Chicken sauted in peanuts, veggies and chilli pepper in a finger-licking gravy. This was amazing and went well with the rice.
3. Veg chilli garlic noodles – Noodles cooked with chilli, garlic and vegetables and served hot. This was nice.
4. Fish in oyster sauce – sliced fish, stir fried and cooked in oyster sauce. The dish was good but the fish had an unpleasant smell, indicating that it might not have been brought fresh from the market.
For desserts we had darsaan with vanilla ice cream. By the time the dish reached our table, the flour chips had turned soggy. Also the scoop of ice cream was too less compared to the quantity of the flour chips. Nevertheless it still tasted good.
Overall, the place serves some amazing food at one of the cheapest rates in the nearby area. I loved the starters very much and the next time I’m in salt lake, craving to have some appetizers, then this is gonna be my destination!